History buffs will enjoy exploring Rattanakosin, and visitors give high marks for the temples, Chinatown, and riverfront. Tourists who journey to this culturally-rich city can discover its monuments, shopping, and bars. Top sights in the city include Temple of the Emerald Buddha, Grand Palace, and Wat Pho.
- There are 296 hotels and other accommodations in Rattanakosin
- The closest major airport is in Bangkok (DMK-Don Mueang Intl.), 13.4 mi (21.6 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Bangkok (BKK-Suvarnabhumi Intl.), 17.1 mi (27.6 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Rattanakosin
Cultural venues in the city include National Museum Bangkok, King Prajadhipok Museum, and Museum of Siam. Notable for its temples, Chinatown, and monuments, the city's landmarks include Temple of the Emerald Buddha, Grand Palace, and Wat Pho. Shopping is one of the favorite things to do, so consider an excursion to Khao San Road, Sampeng Market, and Yaowarat Road.
In Rattanakosin, there are 296 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have a variety of choices for a perfect holiday retreat. These are highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Old Capital Bike Inn - Guests who stay at this 3-star hotel in Khao San can enjoy access to free breakfast and a 24-hour front desk, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and quiet location.
- Baan Kachitpan - Our customers like the clean rooms and walkable location at this guesthouse. Guests who stay at this 3-star guesthouse in Khao San can enjoy access to free breakfast and parking, along with free WiFi.
- Phranakorn-Nornlen Hotel - Guests who stay at this 2.5-star hotel in Khao San can enjoy access to a restaurant and a rooftop terrace, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its family-friendly amenities and clean, comfortable rooms.
Other favorite sights in Rattanakosin include Wat Suthat, Wat Ratchanadda, and Wat Saket. Outside the city, top places to visit include Wat Arun, located 1.1 mi (1.8 km) from the heart of the city, and Jim Thompson House, which is 1.7 mi (2.7 km) away.
Dressing for Rattanakosin
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 94°F and the nighttime average to be 68°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 95°F during the day and 75°F at night
- July through September averages 91°F during the day and 75°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 89°F during the day and 68°F at night
- About 54.61 inches of rain falls on Rattanakosin each year
- Hottest months are usually April and May with an average temperature of 94°F, while the coldest months are January and December with an average of 69°F