Market Rasen

Travel Guide

The oldest part of the church dates back to the 13th century. The church was enlarged during the 15th century and later had restoration work done under Sir George Gilbert Scott in the 19th century. The arcade – most of the windows and the south porch date from this time. The octagonal font is 13th/15 century. The wrought iron top is modern. The church has north and south aisles and a north chapel. The late 13th C 3 bay arcades have double chamfered arches with octagonal piers and moulded capitals. On the voussoirs are extensive traces of red painted foliage. The lower part of the tower is 13th century and retains the original narrow tower arch and small lancet window in the west wall. The upper tower was added in the 14th century together with the window. The reredos dated 1860 is mosaic and marble and displays Italian workmanship. Restoration dates of interest:- 1851 WA Nicholson – Architect – work undertaken in chancel included the painted ceiling 1859-60 Sir George G Scott – further restoration 1867 Reredos designed by RJ Withers and made by Salviati 1870-74 George G Scott Jnr, urgent restoration work.
(The church was formerly known as Saint Nicholas) Although North Kelsey is mentioned in the Domesday survey, there is no record of the church in 1086. It dates from the 13th century, and was extensively rebuilt apart from the tower, in 1784 and 1860. It is thought that stone from the demolished South Kelsey church was used in the renovations. There is a western tower, nave with north aisle, chancel, vestry, and south porch. The tower contains some 13th century windows and an 18th-century doorway. There are three bells. The four-bay north aisle was a gift to the church by John Wyga in 1372. This was rebuilt by William White in the 19th C. incorporating pink marble piers. There is a slab in the chancel with a foliated cross probably from the mid-13th century. At the west end of the south wall of the nave on the outside of the church is a slab with zigzag patterning, probably a grave slab. There is a stained-glass window depicting a Victorian Jesse tree at the east end of the north aisle. The church has a small organ, maker unknown.
Early 14th C. church restored in 1866 by Atkinson. There was probably an earlier church. There is a western tower, nave with south porch, and chancel with vestry. The tower is of four stages dating from the early 14th century. It is built in ironstone and is quite weathered. The rest of the church is from the 19th century, replacing the church of 1766. The nave has no aisles, all the fittings date from the 19th century. There are two monuments which have survived from the 17th century.
The church dates from the 12th century, and it was possible that there was a church before this time. It is situated on top of a hill with commanding views of the Wolds. It is built of Orange Ironstone with slate roofs, and consists of west tower, nave, north and south aisles, south porch and rectangular chancel. The tower is mid 12th century with an early 15th century fourth stage. There are four bells. There is a small early 12th century west doorway. There is also a round headed window of around 1175 with a small head inside the apex with weathered, drooping leaves on either side. The clock is from 1977. There is a 15th century Bell chamber with openings on four sides, the pinnacles are from 1881. The north aisle dates from the early 14th century, and there is a 16th century south porch. Inside there is a 12th century tower arch which was restored in 1884. The north and south arcades of four bays are mid 13th century with octagonal piers. There is a 15th century tie beam timber roof which was restored in the 19th and 20th centuries. The chancel arch is from the 13th century, the chancel itself contains two piscinas and several monuments. There is an interesting carved reredos reusing 16th C. carved panels. There is a 12th century octagonal stone font with a modern base. The church was restored in 1872, by James Fowler, and the tower was restored in 1881 to 1884. The church contains several memorials to various members of the Tennyson d'Eyncourt family of Bayons Manor, Charles Tennyson d'Eyncourt was uncle of Alfred Lord Tennyson.
St Mary's at East Barkwith is one of 6 parish churches of the united Parish of the Barkwith Group. The church has undergone several rebuildings, so the present structure is a combination of different styles. There is no record of when the first church was built here, or of its appearance. The Domesday Survey of 1086 records a church at Barkwith, but it is not known of it was on this site or at West Barkwith. The earliest parts of the church date from between 12th and 13th C onwards, and subsequent dating may be determined by the style of the architecture, Perpendicular, which may be seen in the entrance door and porch, the archway to the tower and the tower itself. The west window may have been reused from an earlier building and the bell openings in the upper tower were probably made in the 17th century. The south arcade also dates from the Perpendicular period. This part of the church saw Catholic services in the centuries before Henry VIII, then changed between Catholicism and Protestantism under Edward, Mary and Elizabeth, the introduction of the Book of Common Prayer (1549, 1552 and 1662), and the destruction of the religious statues and stained glass under the Puritans. In the 18th century there was a long period of neglect and decay in the Church of England. Nonconformist churches began to develop and split from the Anglican church, which suddently took fright and began to appoint incumbents and repair churches. At St Mary's, the chancel was rebuilt in 1846, the architect being J.B. Atkinson. In 1868/9 the nave was re-roofed; the north aisle, the arcade and the windows were rebuilt under the direction of R.J. Withers. The difference in colour and tooling between the original pillars and the 19th century pillars are quite obvious. The font dates probably from the 15th C. It is octagonal and is decorated with shields bearing nails, whip, crown of thorns and other instruments of Christ's Passion. The font is lead lined, and drains through the stem to the ground beneath, so that the hallowed water could not be taken for superstitious purposes. As the water was sometimes left in the bowl the lid could be fastened down; the marks where the hasp and padlock would have been can still be seen on the font. The pulpit is unusual, being made of metal, and was designed by Christopher Turnor of Panton Hall in the late 19thC.
The Adam & Eve

The Adam & Eve

3.5 out of 5
Market Pl Market Rasen England
Stay at this hotel in Market Rasen. Enjoy free breakfast, free Wi-Fi and free parking. Our guests praise the breakfast and the helpful staff in their reviews. ...
9.4/10 Exceptional! (253 reviews)
Great check in process and lovely staff. Room was perfect, highly recommended.

Reviewed on 5 Mar 2026

The Adam & Eve
Advocate Arms Hotel

Advocate Arms Hotel

5 out of 5
Queen St Market Rasen England
Stay at this luxury hotel in Market Rasen. Enjoy free Wi-Fi, breakfast (surcharge) and daily housekeeping. Our guests praise the helpful staff in their reviews. ...
9/10 Wonderful! (101 reviews)
Bar well stocked, missing was peppermint tea.

Reviewed on 18 Mar 2026

Advocate Arms Hotel
Glebe Farm Apartments

Glebe Farm Apartments

2 out of 5
West Barkwith Market Rasen England
The price is RM242 per night from 20 Mar to 21 Mar
RM242
RM291 total
20 Mar - 21 Mar
includes taxes & fees
Stay at this farm stay in Market Rasen. Enjoy free parking. Popular attractions Goltho Gardens and Wragby Maze are located nearby.
8.8/10 Excellent! (229 reviews)
Was arriving late, called to let them know and everything was sorted exactly as discussed no problems what so ever.

Reviewed on 23 Feb 2026

Glebe Farm Apartments
Lowest nightly price found within the past 24 hours based on a 1 night stay for 2 adults. Prices and availability subject to change. Additional terms may apply.
Audleby

Audleby

3.5 out of 5
10A South Street Caistor Market Rasen England
Stay at this golf cottage in Market Rasen. Enjoy free Wi-Fi and free parking. Popular attractions Caistor Market Place and Caistor Library are located ...
Audleby
The Lodge Westmoor Farm

The Lodge Westmoor Farm

3 out of 5
North Kesley Road Market Rasen England
Stay at this holiday home in Market Rasen. Enjoy free Wi-Fi, free parking and private hot tubs. Popular attractions Nettleton Park Golf Course and Caistor Library ...
The Lodge Westmoor Farm
Humber Lofts Serviced Suites

Humber Lofts Serviced Suites

4 out of 5
94 Alfred Gelder Street Hull England
Stay at this aparthotel in Hull. Enjoy free Wi-Fi, free parking and laundry facilities. Popular attractions St Mary the Virgin Church and Hull Guildhall are ...
8.8/10 Excellent! (39 reviews)
Absolutely, spotlessly clean apartment!! Great location, and comfy apartment. Only negative I have is, check out could be 11am, 10am is a bit early.

Reviewed on 15 Mar 2026

Humber Lofts Serviced Suites
Lowest nightly price found within the past 24 hours based on a 1 night stay for 2 adults. Prices and availability subject to change. Additional terms may apply.

Popular places to visit